Re: [AVT] Token draft rev'ed (other than security)

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 03:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:54:52 -0800
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] Token draft rev'ed (other than security)

C0, c1 and ct are up to you to choose. You can stick with the same values (if you know how to handle undesired RTP packets in case you receive something from an old session).

> The other issue that for fully BEHAVE-compliant NATs, ct=c0=c1 is simply good practice in order to reduce the number of
> NAT bindings; however, for non- or conditionally-BEHAVE compliant NATs, there are cases where it's actually required.  It's
> possibly worth explicating this in the draft, probably in terms of the RFC 4787 language.

This looks like something Dan or you can propose some text for. And I will be happy to just insert it ;)

> >> If your NAT has both Arbitrary Address Pooling and Address and Port-Dependent Mapping, though, this still may not work
> if
> >> PT != P3.  (Such a NAT is not BEHAVE-compliant, since Endpoint-Independent Mapping is a MUST in RFC 4787.)  Does PT =
> P3
> >> therefore need to be SHOULD strength, rather than MAY?  At any rate, this should probably be pointed out.
> >
> > I am fine with making it SHOULD, but if the NAT is not compliant, who knows what other stupid things it will do. One thing
> we need to note is that P3 is (often) different for different unicast sessions (the feedback target on the server), so in this case,
> the port in the "a=portmapping-req" line will be equal to the port in the "a=rtcp:" line for the SSM session (which is fine of
> course).
>
> I don't quite follow this, but I guess your point is that (at least in some architectures) different sessions should have different
> P3 values, but share the same PT value?  I see how that complicates things.

The feedback port may need to be different (see the RAMS for discsussion). It is largely because if the source SSRCs cannot be guaranteed to be unique, you gotta choose different feedback targets.

> Fair point about stupid NATs.
>
> I think that this draft achieves the goal of "simple topologies with well-behaved NATs work well; broken NATs or overly-
> complicated architectures work no worse than Cookies."  So that's good.

Yup.
-acbegen