Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-01.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Mon, 07 November 2005 03:40 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Subject: Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-01.txt
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:40:01 -0800
To: Anders Klemets <Anders.Klemets@microsoft.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Anders,

On 26 Oct 2005, at 14:07, Anders Klemets wrote:
> I would appreciate if members on the list could review the -01 version
> of the RTP payload format for VC-1.  (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-01.txt)

Some comments on the draft:

Section 1 is very terse, and some more introduction would be useful
(section 3 is helpful, but still the introduction could still be
expanded).

There are several cases where the draft says "When the VC-1 Advanced
Profile is used..." and then defines a set of rules. Each of these
needs to be followed by "When the Simple or Main profiles are
used...", with an equivalent set of rules for those cases.

Section 5.2: need to specify network byte order for the fields

Section 6.1: the "width" and "height" parameters are presumably
"integers greater than zero" rather than "decimal numbers"?

Section 6.1: what are the units for the "bitrate" parameter?

Section 6.1: the "bitrate" parameter is defined to exclude RTP
overhead. This is okay, but what exactly does the RTP overhead
comprise? (i.e. are the IP or UDP headers included? The fixed RTP
header? The RTP payload header?)

Section 6.1: note that the "buffer" parameter relates to the codec
only, and excludes network jitter buffering?

Section 6.2: the "level" parameter is optional, but doesn't have a
default value. What to do if it is missing?

Section 6.2; the "Framerate" parameter doesn't have a default, and
can be calculated from the level of the encoding profile. Okay, but
what if the level is not specified?

Does IANA need define any parameter registries? Can any of the
parameters be extended?

Do any offer/answer considerations need to be defined?

Colin