Re: [AVT] WGLC comments on draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-11: Part 2 Unicast RTP session Termination

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Mon, 17 January 2011 13:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 05:23:51 -0800
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp@tools.ietf.org, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVT] WGLC comments on draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-11: Part 2 Unicast RTP session Termination

As a good citizen, the client can send a BYE to end the unicast session. It is not just when SSRC times out.

> It might be that you need to tell any using specification to declare how
> a unicast session is terminated. But currently this is a gapping whole
> in the specification.

Actually, we clearly specified how a RAMS session is terminated or when it ends. Repeating all that text here is not needed. So, maybe we should simply say the spec using the Token approach needs to discuss the session termination and ending sessions.

> Based on the below comments it appears that you have decided that RTP
> session termination is when all external SSRCs has timed out. But, I
> wonder if the servers really are fine with that. If I as a client
> continue to send RTCP RR to a server in a RAMS scenario for the unicast
> session, then the server is not allowed to terminate the session? I

In RAMS, the client will continue sending RRs if and only if the client does retransmissions in that unicast session. If that is the case, of course, the server is fine since the session is still active.

If the client does not do any further retransmissions after the burst is completed, the RRs will not be sent so the session will end after the timeout.

> think they will consider the session terminated when the burst is
> completed.

Not necessarily. RAMS server is not just a burst server,  it is a retransmission server, too.

> For NACK I think one can take two approaches. One more aggressive, but
> both appear to work.
>
> A. Lazy, server and client consider the session terminated when the far
> side SSRC times out completely. This will not happen as long as both
> end-points sees each other RTCP RR even if no data traffic is present.
>
> B. More aggressive: The RTP session is timed out when no RTP data
> traffic has been sent in the RTP session for 2 or 5 regular RTCP
> reporting intervals.
>
> Once more my summary of this topic is: This is not defined nor obvious
> as this is an issue that has not existed prior to using RTP/RTCP for
> creating new RTP sessions.

The difference is in creating the RTP session not ending it. Just because a session is dynamically created via RTCP does not mean that it must have a different termination method from the regularly established RTP sessions (3550). Once a session is up, it is up - no difference from any other regular RTP session. Following the KISS principle here makes sense IMO.

Cheers,
-acbegen