Re: [AVTCORE] RTP Internal Multiplexing of RTP sessions

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 21 July 2011 14:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:33:11 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] RTP Internal Multiplexing of RTP sessions

Speaking as RTCWEB contributor....

I think the discussion in RTCWEB has shown clearly that there isn't a
clear consensus in the community on what an RTP session is, what the
existence of RTP sessions requires from the applications, and what the
RTP session is an useful tool for.

The debate has been framed in terms of the cost (in both complexity and
network resources) of running multiple transports when no difference in
treatment is desired from the network - but I think the confusion goes
deeper than that; in the discussions in the W3C WEBRTC WG, which deals
with the API requirements for the same thing, there doesn't seem to be
any sign that anyone sees the need to represent an "RTP session" at the
API offered to the Web applications using RTCWEB.

I'm looking forward to the discussion, both inside and outside the
AVTCORE session, in Quebec.

                      Harald