Re: [AVTCORE] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-westerlund-avtcore-multistream-and-simulcast-00.txt

Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com> Mon, 11 July 2011 16:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:55:54 +0300
From: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>
To: 'Randell Jesup' <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-westerlund-avtcore-multistream-and-simulcast-00.txt

Inline
Roni

You are if you do ssrc multiplex, I assumed that if you do session multiplex
you do not do ssrc multiplex but of course this is allowed.

> I think it's just a terminology issue (and given the relative
> positions,
> I'm probably the one who's
> wrong).  :-)  But I'll note your comment isn't clear to me, and it
> should be.
>
> > This  goes also to the discussion on
> > support of multiple SSRCs. I think that today video conferencing
> endpoint is
> > doing a second offer answer to fix the PT it will use based on the
> first
> > offer answer exchange.
>
> They may be; I mostly work with devices designed for point-to-point -
> but that means that
> entire conferences either get locked down to the
> lowest-common-denominator codec, or
> it demands the MCU transcode.  I personally prefer to leave multiple
> payloads/codecs
> to allow endpoints to switch payloads in order to help adapt to various
> things, like network
> conditions.  In theory, an endpoint could even switch between voice
> codecs and
> better-at-music-audio-codecs when they detect music, as a random
> non-network example.
> I don't know if the non-network use-cases would be compelling, but the
> network adaptation
> are compelling, given the time (and possible failures) required to
> re-INVITE.

This is the same point that EP will try to keep one PT in a point to point
or MCU that terminates the call leg, and they do not expect SSRC
multiplexing as mentioned in the next point