Re: [AVT] Open issues in the PortMapping draft

"Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 21 May 2010 15:44 UTC

From: "Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:23:26 +0200
acceptlanguage: nl-NL, en-US
Subject: Re: [AVT] Open issues in the PortMapping draft

Hi Ali,

Some comments :
-related to your question 5: it makes more sense to include in the portmapping response message a response field that could be used to contain error codes similar as was defined for RAMS-I. I do not think you can impose timing requirements to an RS when responding to a port mapping response, other than the usual RTP AVPF timing rules.
-I would favour to keep "port mapping response" message as a name, whereas  a new message is defined, entitled e.g. "port mapping cookie" , to transfer the cookie along with a RAMS-R or NACK.  The only difference may be the response field presence, but it makes it easier to present this solution.
-If the port mapping request is sent several times by the RTP receiver (redundancy reasons), how should the RS react? You should also state that the random number inside the port mapping request must then be kept the same.

Then a comment with the risk of being criticised as counter-productive.;-)

I notice that you know stipulate that the SSRC name in SDES message accompanying RTCP messages in the primary RTP ssm session and accompanying the RTCP messages in the unicast RTP retransmission sessions must be used by the RS to associate them together. For this reason you also submitted the draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames, an effort I applaude!

But... The reason why the simpler non-cookie solution I proposed  to enable the port mapping, was turned down in Anaheim was exactly because the association of the RTCP messages in the two sessions had to be done via C-NAME, but as it could not be guaranteed that C-NAMES were unique, the solution could not be guaranteed to work well in all cases.

Because the cookie-based solution clearly has some disadvantages compared to not using cookies (additional RTT impacting channel change time, server that needs to generate cookies, need for a keep-alive mechanism and additional security threats like stealing cookies etc ) I wonder what the remaining rationale is for not defining the non-cookie approach in IETF for RAMS and retransmissions.

Regards
Tom