Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-14.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Thu, 31 May 2012 02:06 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, avt@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:03:24 +0800
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-14.txt

Hi, Magnus:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Magnus Westerlund" <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: <avt@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:28 PM

WG,

My individual review of the changes are the following.

1. I think section 3 would really benefit from a figure of the possible
locations of RTP monitors. I think it should focus on the location
rather than the full flow of the collected information. Thus become
simpler than the removed figure.

[Qin]: I thought the figure 1 has already been incoporated into setion 3 and replaced by the description in the section 3.
Based on your comment, I can propose to have the following figure

                            +------------|
         ------------------>|            |<------------------
         |                  | Management |                  |
         |                  |   System   <-----             |
         |                  |            |    |             |
         |                  +------^-----+    |             |
         |                         |          |             |
         |                         |          |             |
         |                 +---------------+  |             |
         |                 |               |  |             |
         |                 | Third Party   |  |             |
         |                 | RTP Monitor   |  |             |
         |                 |               |  |             |
         |                 +---------------+  |             |
         |                                    |             |
 +-------|-------+         +Intermediate --+  |    +--------|------+
 |RTP Sender     |         | RTP System    |  |    |RTP Receiver   |
 |               |         |               |---    |               |
 | +-----------+ |         | +-----------+ |       | +-----------+ |
 | |RTP Monitor| |  RTP    | |RTP Monitor| | RTP   | |RTP Monitor| |
 | +-----------+ | Stream  | +-----------+ |Stream | +-----------+ |
 |               |-------->|               |------>|               |
 |               |         |               |       |               |
 +---------------+         +---------------+       +---------------+
Is this figure what you are looking for?

2. I also wonder if we shouldn't really remove the word architecture
from this document and instead have the title be "Guidelines for the RTP
Monitoring Framework"

[Qin]: Are you proposing to replace the word "architecture" with "framework"?

3. In some sense I wished we could keep the old figure 1 somewhere in
the document. But I guess it would require even more discussion around
the management system.

[Qin]: Management system may not have RTP functionality. Therefore shouldn't it be
beyond scope of the RTP monitoring architecture? In the current draft, we have briefly
discussed interaction between RTP monitor and management system with the following
"
The RTP monitor also exposes real time Application QoS/QoE metric
   information in the appropriate report block format (e.g.,RTCP XR or
   other non-RTP means) to the management system.
"

Cheers

Magnus

--