[AVT] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-ac3-03.txt

"Link, Brian" <BDL@dolby.com> Tue, 24 May 2005 18:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:46:04 -0700
From: "Link, Brian" <BDL@dolby.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: [AVT] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-ac3-03.txt
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Magnus,

I have looked through your comments. Thanks for the many that supply
clarifying text or help the I-D conform to AVT expectations. For most of
the comments, I'll incorporate your suggested text in the next version
of the I-D. Here are a few of your comments where I have questions:

> 1. Status of this memo: You need to update the boilerplate.
> Please use the text from RFC 3978 and 3979.

I believe this was correct in the -03 version. I used the boilerplate I
found in RFC 3978 and the file passed Idnits. If you see something
specifically wrong, please let me know.

> 3. Section 3, timestamp: I think the enumeration of the
> sampling rate should using "or" instead of "and". The reason
> I comment on this is that a defined payload type and thus a
> single payload can't use different sampling frequencies . If
> different sampling frequencies needs to be supported on the
> same connection multiple payload types must be defined.

I moved the sentence in question to section 2.1 where sampling rates and
frame durations are discussed which I think is a better way to satisfy
your concern.

> 10. Section 5.1, subtype name: Are there is a reason why this
> is registered in the vendor space, instead of in the general
> IETF tree? As we are having the specification of the payload
> format in IETF they are generally approved registered in the
> standards tree. I am especially concerned how we are going to
> handle the ownership/change controlling of this type.

Can you explain more about the concern here? I don't think I have a
strong opinion on this issue, but will need to check with some
stakeholders. Part of my motivation for using the vendor tree is my
understanding that that would reduce the time to RFC. (I'm still trying
to beat a deadline to reference this eventual RFC in a DLNA
specification.)

> 12. Section 5.1: Ptime: Why isn't the normal definition in SDP (RFC
> 2327) referenced here?
>
> 13. Section 5.1: Maxptime: Why isn't the definition in RFC
> 3267 referenced? IF sdp-new is published before this
> document, one could reference that.

Would it be acceptable to remove the text about ptime and maxptime from
this payload format definition? I think those sentences got carried into
the document from a template used by an earlier author. I don't see a
need to alter the normal definitions, or even call them out (or
duplicate them) in this document. (If this is acceptable, then I would
leave out the sentence about ptime/maxptime from comment 17; and leave
out references to RFC 2327 and RFC 3267 from comment 22.)

> 15. Section 5.1: Please remove the File extension, mac file
> type code, and OID registration. That is unless you intend to
> register a file format at the same time. However in that case
> you need to reference a file format definition and an
> analyzes if registration under the same name is appropriate
> or not must be performed.

This change is fine. Can you point me at some guidelines for the
analysis you mention? I would like to understand what I might best do
(in the future) to register a file type.

> 19. Section 6. Is there any any manipulation an attacker
> could perform to a audio frame that would result in that the
> codec crashes or uses significant more processing or memory
> to handle that frame. Examples of these would be to
> manipulate BSI, or dynamic range control. If the answer is
> yes, then this needs to be pointed out. This due to the
> Denial of Service threat that then exist.

AC-3 decoders are required to identify and ignore malformed frames. I
think the worst that can happen is that a decoder will mute and enter a
state in which it searches for a sync word at the beginning of a new
frame. I'll look into this a little more to confirm my understanding and
add some wording to this effect.

> 21. I am missing a congestion control section. This should
> indicate what operations I can perform to reduce the bit-rate
> and/or packet rate of the transmission.

I wasn't aware this was required. Can you point me to some guidelines
(and example text) so I'll understand what is needed here?

Best regards,
Brian

---
Brian Link
Dolby Laboratories, 100 Potrero Ave., San Francisco, CA 94103
phone: 415-558-0324  fax: 415-863-1373
email: bdl@dolby.com   alt email: link@ieee.org

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you are not
the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are not the intended
recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on
this message is strictly prohibited.