Re: [AVT] Open issue in the RAMS draft

Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com> Thu, 17 June 2010 18:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:18:54 +0300
From: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>
To: "'Ali C. Begen (abegen)'" <abegen@cisco.com>, 'IETF AVT WG' <avt@ietf.org>
Cc: "'Bill Ver Steeg (versteb)'" <versteb@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] Open issue in the RAMS draft

Hi,
I think that instead of SHOULD the draft can say RECOMMEND which has the
same normative meaning but it sounds different. The major reason, like Ali
stated, is that RTCP is not a reliable protocol and RAMS does not address
reliability of messages. Clients should not break if a message is lost and
section 5 explains that this is an optimization and the client can always
use the multicast and wait for synchronization.
Getting the information about the first packet in the burst or failing in
the decoding due to packet lost MUST cause the same client behavior whether
the RAMS-I with this information arrived or not. RAMS does not recommend any
method in the case of burst packet loss so this is left to the
implementation. For example, even if the RTP_Rx will get the RAMS-I with the
first sequence number and will not receive this first packet, it can decide
to take any action it wishes so by sending the information it does not cause
a specific behavior.
I think that by specifying all the information we can let the implementer
decide when to send the RAMS-I

Roni Even
As individual