Re: [AVTCORE] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-07.txt

Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com> Fri, 19 October 2012 20:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:02:36 -0600
From: Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com>
To: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-07.txt

Ray has asked me to add to his comments and assure AVTCORE members that in
preparing this revision the authors also considered the following issues
discussed at IETF 84:

Which packet to report on - We decided to allow flexibility in which RTP
packet is used to report network delay. Flexibility allows implementations
to optimize reporting to get the most useful information to the MSAS
quickly. We do not believe interoperability or performance is compromised
by this flexibility.

draft-wu-xrblock-rtcp-xr-one-way-delay - We considered whether this
proposal could be used instead of the application-specific reporting
mechanism proposed in our draft. We found this unsuitable for the following
reasons.

   1. The IDMS proposal directly reports one-way delay of the RTP packets
   of the stream under control by IDMS. The one-way-delay proposal measures
   one-way delay using RTCP packets. RTP delay is what we care about for
   proper IDMS operation. RTCP packets are likely to experience different
   (shorter) delay due to their different (smaller) size.
   2. The one-way-delay proposal does not include a Media Stream
   Correlation Identifier. The MSAS requires this information to do its job.
   If it is not included in the XR, it will need to be signaled through
   another means significantly altering and complicating the system.
   3. The one-way-delay proposal does not include a presentation timestamp
   making the precise synchronization required by some IDMS applications
   difficult or impossible.

Kevin Gross
+1-303-447-0517
Media Network Consultant