Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-00.txt

Thomas Kernen <tkernen@deckpoint.ch> Wed, 21 September 2005 14:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:52:26 +0200
From: Thomas Kernen <tkernen@deckpoint.ch>
To: anderskl@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-00.txt
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:
> This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.
>
> 	Title		: RTP Payload Format for Video Codec 1 (VC-1)
> 	Author(s)	: A. Klemets
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 21
> 	Date		: 2005-8-25
>
>    This memo specifies an RTP payload format for encapsulating Video
>    Codec 1 (VC-1) compressed bit streams, as defined by the proposed
>    Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) standard,
>    SMPTE 421M.  SMPTE is the main standardizing body in the motion
>    imaging industry and the proposed SMPTE 421M standard defines a
>    compressed video bit stream format and decoding process for
>    television.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-00.txt

Here are my comments with regards to the draft. These are minor points
related to wording clarification.

- In section 3, the Advanced profile is referred to as "... making it
suitable for nearly lossless encoding of HDTV signals". This is subject
to interpretation and therefore is there a purpose to specify this
matter? In n years from now the meaning of the term HDTV may not be the
same as today, therefore this comment may be incorrect. Shouldn't the
document be more factual?

- In section 3.1, BI-picture is referred to but is not defined in
section 2. Please could you either define in section 2 or change the
wording of "These terms are defined in section 2 of this document and in
section 4.12 of SMPTE 421M [1]". I was expecting to find a reference to
BI-picture in the section 2 considering it's one liner in 4.12 of SMPTE
421M.

- In section 4.3, "Knowing if the stream will contain B-pictures helps
the decoder allocate resources more efficiently, as the encoder will not
reorder any frames." Should not this be the other way around? "Knowing
if the stream will NOT contain B-pictures..."

- Across sections 6.1, 6.2 & 8, VC1 is referred to in lowercase and
uppercase, is this related to the definition of VC1 as an (un)approved
MIME subtype or simply an overlooked inconsistency in the draft?

HTH
Thomas