Re: [AVT] draft-mcgrew-dtls-srtp-00

Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti@qualcomm.com> Tue, 04 April 2006 07:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:20:48 -0700
To: avt@ietf.org
From: Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] draft-mcgrew-dtls-srtp-00

I have been meaning to review this draft for a while now and finally
completed reading it just a little while ago.  I must also preface
the review to say that this is more on the opinionated end of the
spectrum; this area has attracted a wide range of ideas for key
management, some I like and some I don't care for all that much!

Review of draft-mcgrew-tls-srtp-00
Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Extension to Establish Keys
for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol

My understanding of the evolution of this work is that the number of
changes one needs to make to DTLS for SRTP equivalency on the wire is
unattractive, and of course the changes themselves are not really
elegant (that's a separate discussion, however).  One way to fix that
might be (again looking from the world view of TLS/DTLS) to reuse
SRTP and use the tried and tested TLS(DTLS) protocol for key
management.  That sounds nice, but there are any number of problems with that.

1. DTLS-SRTP supports point-to-point media sessions, with exactly two
participants: This is in itself is not the end of the world, but it's
a limitation nonetheless (SRTP-EKT might be used to compensate this
problem, but again more on that in a different discussion).
2. Multiple media sessions each require a DTLS-SRTP session: there is
an optimization where multiple sessions might run in sequence and
take advantage of TLS/DTLS session re-start, but I consider this a
serious limitation.  DTLS would have more latency in establishing
keys for a single session, compared to say, SDES and MIKEY and the
multiple sessions case makes the problem worse.  It doesn't look like
there's a way to get around this problem.
3. Minor changes required to introduce an extension to DTLS for SRTP:
not a problem.
4. TLS KDF instead of SRTP master key derivation is used: I don't
like it.  I'd have liked to reuse all of SRTP as much as possible,
especially if SRTP is implemented for other purposes in
hardware/firmware/toolkit.  The keys also come from the end of the
DTLS key block.  I need to think more about that some time.  Any
opinions of whether that's an issue?
5. Client-server terminology: I am not thrilled to see the client
server terminology for point-to-point media sessions, but that's
baggage from the DTLS world.
6. Transmission and reception: The DTLS handshake is used for keying
SRTP as well as the record layer, so there are demultiplexing
semantics.  As explained they seem ok and might work without a hitch,
but again I must conclude that this has a retrofitting feel to it.

Conclusion: If the "final" consensus were to use in-band (or bearer
path) keying for SRTP, in my view, DTLS-SRTP is not the way forward.

I am still open minded about all this, but it would take a lot to
convince me to change that personal opinion.

regards,
Lakshminath

PS:  I'd also like to see the response to Fleming's questions in his
review. Thanks.