Re: [AVT] draft-ietf-rtp-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp-05: RTCP information

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Wed, 16 December 2009 15:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:34:51 -0800
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVT] draft-ietf-rtp-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp-05: RTCP information

Hi Magnus,

OK, I see your point now (based on our offline conversation). The synchronization information comes from the primary session, agreed. The sender reports in the unicast session will synchronize the packets in that session only, which is not what we want. The ret server can only know the synch info if it has received it from the primary session.

> I see an issue in that some of the RTCP information will be for the
> retransmission or burst stream and other will apply for the original
> (SSM) session. I think we need to do more thinking here.

Indeed.

> >> lines of RTP Retransmission there will be a mapping between the SSRC_Rx
> >> to a particular SSRC_Mx. However the RTCP information that is sent as
> >> originated by SSRC_Rx is the one about the repair or burst flow. Not the
> >> synchronization information that is correct for SSRC_Mx.
> >>
> >> So, what is the proposal to provide the RTP_Rx with SSRC_Mx SR and CNAME
> >> and any additional RTCP information when doing RAMS?
> >
> > We simply use the SSRC of the media sender in the unicast session, too.
> >
> > Would that answer your question?
>
> No, I still think we have an issue here that needs detailed
> specification. I am also not certain if the method of making the RTCP
> information for the unicast session apply also for the SSM session can
> work, or if there is need for an encapsulation solution.

I talked to Colin about this. And we agree that a header-extension based approach will be a better option here. The source in the primary session sends the header extensions frequently enough so that the randomly joining receivers will quickly synchronize the RTP streams (See http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-07.txt)

In the unicast retransmission session, the ret server observes these header extensions and conveys them to the receiver during the burst. 4588 says the header extensions in the original packets SHOULD be carried in the ret packets. This will allow the receivers to synchronize the RTP streams quickly both in the unicast session as well as when they join the primary SSM session.

This approach does not need a new encapsulation for the sender reports.

Let us know if this works for you.

Cheers, acbegen.