Re: [AVT] rtpmap and fmtp for telephone-event

"Tom-PT Taylor" <taylor@nortel.com> Wed, 27 September 2006 04:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:39:31 -0400
From: Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortel.com>
To: Murat Artun <artunmurat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] rtpmap and fmtp for telephone-event
Cc: avt@ietf.org

The key passage is in section 2.5.1.1 of 2833bis:

    The sender SHOULD indicate what events it supports, using the
    optional "events" parameter associated with the telephone-events
    media type.  If the sender receives an "events" parameter from the
    receiver, it MUST restrict the set of events it sends to those listed
    in the received "events" parameter.  For backward compatibility, if
    no "events" parameter is received, the sender SHOULD assume support
    for the DTMF events 0-15 but for no other events.

So it is possible for the IP phone to omit the fmtp, but there should be
a very good reason for doing so. And as you say, if the fmtp attribute
isn't there, the other end has good reason to expect support of DTMF
tone events.