RE: [AVT] draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cn-06

"Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <rfairlie@nuera.com> Mon, 17 June 2002 20:38 UTC

From: "Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <rfairlie@nuera.com>
To: "'Campos, Simao'" <simao.campos@itu.int>, "'avt@ietf.org'" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [AVT] draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cn-06
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:39:14 -0700
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Hi Simao,

> I see your point but please keep in mind that a mandatory
> minimum rate might
> break interoperability scenarios (say PSTN->VoIP->PSTN) if the systems
> outside the IP network behave differently from a "mandatory" setup.
> Additionally, this issue is very system-specific and I am not
> aware of a
> well-accept threshold for it; some systems use every 5
> seconds, others every
> 20s... It might be hard to nail down a number.

Even a large period of 20 secs would provide some useful properties. I am
doubtful that many RTP over UDP implementations would use a value this
large. Even sending a SID packet every 5 seconds is not going cause
excessive network traffic.

I understand the backwards compatibility issues but I would be interested to
find out just how many systems supporting CN today (over unreliable
transport protocols) really don't transmit every a SID packet at least as
often as an RTCP retransmit period, say 5-10 seconds.

CN is still only a draft. Requiring a minimum retransmission period over
unreliable transport would have significant benefits and I'm not convinced
it would break any reasonable implementations today.

> This might be a parameter negotiated/communicated at session
> establishment,
> so both ends would know what to expect and adjust accordingly.

I'm sure it could but it really doesn't need to be - its yet another
parameter to be negotiated. Hey can we get an acronym for that? YAPTBN? :)

Robert.