Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-13.txt, and smpte and toffset drafs

Dave Singer <singer@apple.com> Tue, 28 August 2007 20:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:55:54 -0700
To: avt@ietf.org
From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-13.txt, and smpte and toffset drafs

[oops, one line was missing in the previous summary, sorry;  please
ignore that and read this email!]

These three new versions should deal with the final concerns and so
on, raised by this WG, the ADs, and other experts.

details of the changes are below, after each draft

At 16:15  -0400 28/08/07, Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group
>of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: A general mechanism for RTP Header Extensions
>	Author(s)	: H. Desineni, D. Singer
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-13.txt
>	Pages		: 24
>	Date		: 2007-8-28
>
>This document provides a general mechanism to use the header-
>    extension feature of RTP (the Real Time Transport Protocol).  It
>    provides the option to use a small number of small extensions in each
>    RTP packet, where the universe of possible extensions is large and
>    registration is de-centralized.  The actual extensions in use in a
>    session are signaled in the setup information for that session.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext-13.txt

Now permits the same extension, differently parameterized, to be used
more than once
per stream (needed for some SMPTE TC cases)

Even more clear that the extension cannot affect the decodability of
the packet stream

Restricts IANA registered extensions to those using IETF URNs, and
restricts IETF URNs toextensions documented in RFCs

A paragraph on the impact of header compression was inserted (thanks to Colin).

Variant two-byte header optional form added.

ABNF fixed as per Magnus (I went with his byte-string alternative choice)

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group
>of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Associating Time-codes with RTP streams
>	Author(s)	: D. Singer
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-11.txt
>	Pages		: 21
>	Date		: 2007-8-28
>
>This document describes a mechanism for associating time-codes, as
>    defined by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
>    (SMPTE), with media streams, in a way that is independent of the RTP
>    payload format of the media stream itself.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-smpte-rtp-11.txt

There was a minor improvement in wording in one place

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group
>of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Transmission Time offsets in RTP streams
>	Author(s)	: H. Desineni, D. Singer
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-toffset-06.txt
>	Pages		: 16
>	Date		: 2007-8-28
>
>This document describes a method to inform RTP clients when RTP
>    packets are transmitted at a time other than their 'nominal'
>    transmission time.  It also provides a mechanism to provide improved
>    inter-arrival jitter reports from the clients, that take into account
>    the reported transmission times.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-toffset-06.txt

Re-uploaded with only the date and version changed, as it was about to expire.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime