RE: [AVT] Generic RTP payload format for time-lined static media

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com> Wed, 18 July 2001 19:01 UTC

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
To: 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@era-t.ericsson.se>, avt@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [AVT] Generic RTP payload format for time-lined static media
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:01:45 -0400
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

First off, I must admit I didn't follow the threads on this draft till now,
so if my issues were covered already, my apologies.

Honestly, I don't understand why the content is transferred within the RTP
at all. Unlike continuous media, which has the property that old data is not
useful if it comes too late, the timescales for this stuff are such that its
still useful if you can get it before it no longer needs to be presented,
which is probably on the order of several seconds for most everything, at
least. So, why don't you send RTP packets that contain a URL for the
content? I think you're better off fetching a JPEG using http than trying to
stream one in RTP. Beyond that, I would think this would work like rfc2833
does, in terms of conveying durations/timestamps.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

rtp-static-media-00.txt

Please read the draft and comment on it. I also hope to have the
possiblity to present and discuss it in London.

Regards

Magnus Westerlund

Audio Technology, Ericsson Research
Ericsson Radio Systems AB  | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@era-t.ericsson.se