Re: [AVT] New I-D on JVT packetization

Stephan Wenger <stewe@cs.tu-berlin.de> Tue, 25 June 2002 21:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:18:38 +0200
To: "M. Reha Civanlar" <m.civanlar@ieee.org>
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: [AVT] New I-D on JVT packetization
Cc: Stephan Wenger <stewe@cs.tu-berlin.de>, jvt-experts@mail.imtc.org, avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Dear Reha,

Thanks for your comments.  I was unaware of the RFC, however I did know
about the patents.  I doubt that the existence of the patents pose a
problem to the process in AVT.  After all, the discussion in the draft
about the Parameter Sets is merely a description of mechanisms available in
JVT.  In JVT, however, we may have a problem (though I doubt it) with the
license free baseline policy.  For the payload spec, we are simply talking
about a bit stream content.  So far I haven't heard of any mechanisms
defined in the RFC that are patent protected.

Regarding the problem of the license free baseline, I plan to comment on
the JVT reflector (after Wednesday, I'm on travel now).

Best regards,
Stephan