[AVTCORE] New Packet formats section in Multipath RTP (draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp-01)

varun singh <vsingh.ietf@gmail.com> Mon, 14 March 2011 21:56 UTC

From: varun singh <vsingh.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:57:10 +0200
To: avt@ietf.org
Subject: [AVTCORE] New Packet formats section in Multipath RTP (draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp-01)

Greetings,

We have updated the draft and the latest iteration contains an updated
section on Packet Formats (Section 9). In Section 9.3.1, we define a
generic mechanism to reuse the session level reports (e.g., SR, RR,
XR) for subflow-specific reports. An example non-compound subflow
MPRTCP is shown in Figure 12.

For exact changes see
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp-01.txt.

The draft contains some open issues (and some recommendations) that
should be discussed here on the mailing so that we can move ahead and
close them.

Regards,
Varun

Begin forwarded message:

A new version of I-D, draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp-01.txt has been
successfully submitted by Varun Singh and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:	 draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Multipath RTP (MPRTP)
Creation_date:	 2011-03-14
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 29

Abstract:
The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is used to deliver real-time
content and, along with the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP), forms the
control channel between the sender and receiver.  However, RTP and
RTCP assume a single delivery path between the sender and receiver
and make decisions based on the measured characteristics of this
single path.  Increasingly, endpoints are becoming multi-homed, which
means that they are connected via multiple Internet paths.  Network
utilization can be improved when endpoints use multiple parallel
paths for communication.  The resulting increase in reliability and
throughput can also enhance the user experience.  This document
extends the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) so that a single
session can take advantage of the availability of multiple paths
between two endpoints.

The IETF Secretariat.

Varun Singh
http://www.netlab.tkk.fi/~varun