Re: [AVT] [Fecframe] Question from FECFRAME about RTP Payload Format Parameters

Mark Watson <mark@digitalfountain.com> Tue, 09 December 2008 22:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:07:23 -0800
From: Mark Watson <mark@digitalfountain.com>
To: Roni Even <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>, 'Colin Perkins' <csp@csperkins.org>
Cc: avt@ietf.org, fecframe@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] [Fecframe] Question from FECFRAME about RTP Payload Format Parameters
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Roni, Colin,

I guess I should clarify that the FECFRAME SDP attributes will be defined in
any case because they are needed for flows which are signaled in SDP but
which do not use RTP.

In the case that RTP is used, then, we have the choice of using the FECFRAME
attributes or using RTP Payload Format parameters.

To be honest, my feeling is that it is not very clean either way: either we
break the RTP convention (or rule?) that all the required information to
interpret the payload is available in the RTP Payload Format Parameters or
we have duplicate ways to signal the same information.

Colin¹s mail suggests we could define an RTP Payload Format parameter to
carry the scheme-specific information in the same way that the FECFRAME SDP
attribute does (as a base64-encoded octet string) and then all FECFRAME RTP
Payload Formats could use the same parameter. But I wonder whether the
advantage of this is marginal compared to the advantage of the parameters
being clearly visible in the SDP.

Regards,

Mark