Re: [AVTCORE] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Mon, 07 March 2016 18:37 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 18:36:57 +0000
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org, draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers.all@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13

Hi,

Apologies for the slow reply…

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 22:19, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This is my AD Evaluation of draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13. While I do have some comments and questions, I don't think anything here needs to block IETF last call. Please address these along with any other last call feedback.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben.
>

> Substantive
> ===========
>
> -4, third paragraph, sentence starting with "This approach SHOULD NOT be used..."
>
> Does this mean that, in addition to the fact that non-RTCP peers shouldn’t be on the network in the first place, a circuit-breaker implementation shouldn’t talk to them even if they are? That is, even if the peer has a “good reason" (in an RFC 2119 sense) to violate that SHOULD, circuit-breaker implementations should ostracize it? :-)

An RTP endpoint that implements the circuit breaker can’t talk to non-RTCP peers unless the circuit breaker is disabled, since the lack of RTCP will trigger the RTCP timeout circuit breaker. This sentence says you SHOULD NOT disable the RTP circuit breaker to talk to non-RTCP peers, unless you have some other means of determining whether you’re causing excessive congestion.

> -4.2, last paragraph, sentence starting with "In this case"
>
> Does this imply that the SHOULD only applies if the sender has reason to believe that the SR or RR packets will be too large? or should the sender always behave this way?

Assuming you mean last paragraph of §4.1, the reason I’m hesitant to say that it always applies is due to draft-ietf-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos-13 allowing different DSCP markings on different RTP flows on a 5-tuple, making me wonder if there could be differential queuing meaning the circuit breaker could trigger for RTP flows but not for others. Aside from that, it’s safe to always behave that way.

> How does this relate to the guidance (MAY) in section 8?

I guess you could treat this as one example of treating flows as a group. If the DSCP issue noted above is a concern, it might make sense to update Section 8 to say you can treat RTP flows of the same media type (audio, video, etc.) as a group, rather than any subset of RTP flows.

> - 4.3, 6th paragraph:"Implementations that desire this extra sensitivity MAY use the full TCP throughput equation in the RTP circuit breaker. "
>
> Is there potential for the extra sensitivity to do harm (beyond the higher calculation complexity)?

The full equation has been shown to be a better model of TCP throughput, and the simplified model can overestimate the rate a TCP flow will achieve in some cases (the [Padhye] reference in the paper goes into details).

As a result, the RTP circuit breaker is slightly more likely to trigger if using the full equation, since the extra terms in the full equation will always give a slightly lower estimate for the TCP throughput than the simplified equation (and the RTP circuit breaker triggers when sending >10x the TCP throughput estimate). This is safe for the network, but potentially terminates slightly more flows. I don’t see this as a concern, given how conservative the design is for the triggering rate.

> -4.4, 2nd to last paragraph, last sentence:
>
> Is there any potential guidance on reasonable lower limits to the time period considered “significant"?

Several seconds, and perhaps tens of seconds.

> - 12.2:
>
> It seems like the following references might should be normative: I-D.ietf-tsvwg-circuit-breaker, RFC3168, RFC6679

I think you can implement the RTP circuit breaker without reading any of those, so informative seems correct. However, I don’t much care either way.

> Editorial
> =========
>
> - Abstract
> s/“will deteriorate"/"will cause the deterioration of"

Okay.

> -- "This acts as a safety measure..."
> What is the antecedent for “this”? Congestion control? The deterioration? (Also, this sentence contains a comma splice)

That sentence is a mess. Will rewrite.

> - 1:
> A very short definition of what we mean by “circuit breaker" might be useful.

Sure.

> - 3:
> It's a little odd to find 2119 keywords imbedded in term definitions. You might consider moving those to procedure sections. (OTOH, it may not be worth changing this late in the process.)

No strong opinion, but I thought it clearer to define how the term is calculated when the term was defined.

> -4.2, last paragraph:
> What would it even mean to maintain a timeout past the end of the related stream?

It wouldn’t be meaningful. This is just stating the obvious for completeness.

> -4.3,
>
> -- paragraph 6:
> typo: s/throughout/throughput

Will fix.

> -- paragraph 9: "MUST record the value of the fraction
>   lost field in the report block"
>
> Does this mean the field _from_ the report block? (That is, you aren’t _writing_ the value in the report block?)

Correct. Perhaps “MUST record the value of the fraction lost field from the report block” would be clearer?

> -9, last paragraph:
>
> Is this paragraph really related to security? It sounds more like an operational consideration.

It’s related to security if an attacker is able to change the signalling, to effectively disable the circuit breaker in furtherance of a DDoS attack.

Cheers,
Colin

--
Colin Perkins