RE: [AVT] AD questions on draft-ietf-avt-ulp

"Mark Watson" <mark@digitalfountain.com> Mon, 15 May 2006 15:54 UTC

Subject: RE: [AVT] AD questions on draft-ietf-avt-ulp
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:54:00 -0400
From: Mark Watson <mark@digitalfountain.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: IETF-AVT <avt@ietf.org>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>

Magnus,

Cullen said:
> Is a m(i) of 48 bits enough for things like mpeg?

And you replied: "I would claim that your statement provides to little
info to be evaluated. 48 bits are enough for most applications in the
kilo bit
range, for applications in the megabit range it is probably not enough."

I don't agree with the first part of the second sentence - it depends
entirely on the level of errors you want to correct, the amount of
bandwidth and latency that you can afford and the packet size. 48 is
really very limiting in many applications, including those in the kilo
bit range. But I think it's understood that this draft has a limited
scope of applicability. Extending past 48 might require a change from
the bitmap approach, since otherwise the overhead of the bitmap itself
starts to become excessive.

Regards,

Mark