Re: [AVTCORE] RFC4566 - understanding maxptime

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Mon, 05 January 2015 14:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:40:50 -0500
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: Harald Radke <harryrat@gmx.de>, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] RFC4566 - understanding maxptime

Hi Harry

We have definitely seen implementations in the field that dynamically
varied the media time encoded within an RTP packet during a single
session and the associate inter-arrival times; we've also built systems
that do this for network test purposes.

One example we saw in a mobile network varied the number of 10ms encoded
voice frames that were contained within a single RTP packet to between 1
and 4.  I don't recall the SDP that was used to negotiate this however
the receiver had to process variable duration frames.

Regards

Alan