Re: [AVT] draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-06: SDP attribute usage of port-mapping-req

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Thu, 09 December 2010 13:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 05:26:30 -0800
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVT] draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-06: SDP attribute usage of port-mapping-req

On the 1st issue: I remember this coming up at some point (maybe it was you or somebody else). And you are right, the current text in section 7.1 and the example in 7.3 indicate that the 'portmapping-req' goes into the unicast media block (if used at media level).

The reasoning was:
- There could be multiple associated unicast sessions for each SSM session, and in that case specifying this separately made more sense
- The messages we bundle with the Token (such as RAMS-R, RAMS-T, BYE, CCM, etc.) are actually related to the unicast stream not the multicast stream. Well, you could argue that RAMS-R starts the burst for a multicast stream but I could argue that it starts *the* unicast stream. OTOH, RAMS-T directly controls the unicast stream has nothing to do with the multicast, so does the BYE for the unicast session.

Following up on this, for the 2nd question: Tying the token to the rtcp-fb line does not seem much right, either. For example, rtcp-fb line in the multicast media block has nothing to do with RAMS-T.

We tried to be as explicit as possible in section 4.3 and left the door open for future possible additions to the list of messages that require or might require a Token. If that does not look good, we are open to suggestions.

-acbegen