RE: [AVT] RTP: IPv6 examples for RTCP SDES CNAME

"Peter Barany" <pbarany@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 08 January 2003 17:27 UTC

From: Peter Barany <pbarany@nortelnetworks.com>
To: 'Colin Perkins' <csp@isi.edu>
Cc: Stephen Casner <casner@acm.org>, AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [AVT] RTP: IPv6 examples for RTCP SDES CNAME
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:23:40 -0600
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Colin,

Regarding ::10.0.0.1, I believe this is a valid representation of an IPv4
compatible address. However, let me take another stab at amending the text
below to account for this an additional rules (e.g.., there are 3 forms for
representing IPv6 addresses as text strings). Another way around this would
be to refer to the appropriate IETF IPv6 WG document in order to account for
all of the variations/rules. What do you think? NOTE: RFC 2373 (which is a
Proposed Standard) has been advanced to Draft Standard
(draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.txt), approved for publication on Oct.
29, 2002 (RFC #?).

Regards,

Pete

New text below (this should fix/account for everything):

>>   For example, the standard ASCII
>>   representation of an IP Version 4 address is "dotted decimal", also
>>   known as dotted quad, and for IP Version 6, the preferred method for
>>   representing addresses textually is as eight groups of four hexadecimal
>>   digits separated by colons, where (1) it is not necessary to write the
>>   leading zeros in an individual field; (2) a contiguous sequence of
16-bit
>>   blocks set to "0" in the colon hexadecimal format can be compressed to
"::"
>>   ("::" can only appear once in an address); (3) in a mixed environment
of
>>   IPv4 and IPv6 nodes, an alternative method for textually representing
IP Version 6
>>   addresses is as six groups of four hexadecimal digits separated by
colons
>>   for the six high-order 16-bit pieces of the address and "dotted
decimal"
>>   for the four low-order 8-bit pieces of the address (standard IPv4
representation).