Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-07.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Mon, 27 October 2014 23:00 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:59:43 +0000
To: "avt@ietf.org WG" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-07.txt

Changes in this version include:

- update Section 4.1 to consistently require three consecutive reports before triggering the circuit breaker;

- in Section 4.2, in the discussion of large sessions that round-robin SR/RR reports, strengthen the requirement to treat receipt of any SR/RR packet on the 5-tuple as an indication that the path is working from MAY to SHOULD;

- in Section 4.3, wait for three consecutive reporting intervals before triggering the circuit breaker, to match Sections 4.1 and 4.2;

- update Section 4.3: when sending at a low rate (loss than 1 packet per RTT), a sender MAY ignore a single instance of the congestion circuit breaker, but SHOULD cease transmission if it triggers again immediately, addressing the case where the packet loss rate estimate is inaccurate, due to being derived from too few packets;

- in Section 4.4, clarify that receivers should monitor media quality and terminate the session if it is unusable, not just senders;

- in section 5, clarify when non-compound packets should be ignored;

- add a new section on impact of layered coding;

- add discussion of problem caused by overly long RTCP reporting intervals to the Security Considerations;

- add an Open Issues Section; and

- various minor editorial fixes.

Comments and feedback is welcome.

Colin