RE: [AVT] Offer/Answer section in draft-ietf-avt-rfc2429-bis-09.txt

"Desineni, Harikishan" <hdesinen@qualcomm.com> Tue, 03 October 2006 01:16 UTC

Subject: RE: [AVT] Offer/Answer section in draft-ietf-avt-rfc2429-bis-09.txt
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:15:38 -0700
From: "Desineni, Harikishan" <hdesinen@qualcomm.com>
To: "Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>, Gary Sullivan <garysull@windows.microsoft.com>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, "Stephan Wenger (Nokia)" <Stephan.Wenger@nokia.com>

It would be good to provide some examples along with these updates.
(I tried to come up with few examples listed at the end of this e-mail)

Profile and level are not included as parameters to H263-1998 MIME
subtype. It looks like "profile=xx;level=yy" indication is applicable to
H263-2000 MIME subtype only. If this is indeed the case, it would be
better to clarify this as part of the upcoming update to the draft (in
the offer/answer section).

>From Sec 8.1.2 on H263-2000 MIME subtype:
"The optional parameters of the H263-1998 type MAY be used with this
MIME subtype."
This is giving H263-2000, the freedom to use all optional parameters
defined for H263-1998. Thus, it looks like just one MIME subtype
(H263-2000) is necessary (May be I am terribly incorrect here!) in this
draft. Can somebody enlighten me here on when am I mandated to use only
h263-1998?

Example 1:
SDP offer with Profile 0, Level 10 and profile 1 and level 10

m=video 34560 RTP/AVP 96 97
a=rtpmap:96 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96 profile=0;level=10;
a=rtpmap:97 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:97 profile=1;level=10;

SDP answer with profile 0, level 45
m=video 45678 RTP/AVP 96
a=rtpmap:96 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96 profile=0;level=45;

Example 2:

SDP offer with Profile 0, Level 10

m=video 34560 RTP/AVP 96
a=rtpmap:96 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96 profile=0;level=10;

SDP answer with profile 0, level 45 and profile 1, level 10

m=video 45678 RTP/AVP 96 97
a=rtpmap:96 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96 profile=0;level=45;
a=rtpmap:98 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:98 profile=1;level=10;

Mid-call, offerer updates the level from 10 to 45:

m=video 34560 RTP/AVP 96
a=rtpmap:96 h263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96 profile=0;level=45;

Harikishan Desineni