Re: [AVTCORE] Comments on draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-04

"Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 28 June 2011 09:22 UTC

From: "Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:21:17 +0200
acceptlanguage: nl-NL, en-US
Cc: 'IETF AVTCore WG' <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Comments on draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-04

Qin,
See my comments below,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Qin Wu [mailto:sunseawq@huawei.com]
Sent: woensdag 22 juni 2011 4:40
To: Colin Perkins; Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)
Cc: 'IETF AVTCore WG'; Roni Even

I agree with Colin's observation.

Tom: I suggest you to then include this new rationale in an updated version of the draft

Another basic rational I think is we should use NACK and new report appropriately. i.e., both new report and NACK can not be used in any cases.

NACK and new report defined in this document are both feedback message, however they should have different uses.
we don't expect to see that when NACK is sent from A to B, the new report can replace NACK as one  alternative and is also sent from A to B. But we allow that NACK and new report work together in the same sceanrio, e.g.,when NACK is sent from A to B, the new report is sent from B to C.

The basic reason is NACK and new report has totally different semantics, i.e., when the middlebox or media source detect the packet loss by himself, the middlebox or media source SHOULD send NACK message, when the middlebox is told by another middlebox or RTP_Reciever about the packet loss, the middlebox SHOULD send new report defined in this draft.

In that case, we can clearly distinguish the semantics and use of both NACK and new report.
Such rational is clearly described in the last paragraph of section 1 and the fifth paragraph of section 2

Tom: what you say above seems to be in conflict with the behaviour you specify in section 3:  "Alternatively, the media source may directly monitor the amount of
   feedback reports it receives from downstream.  If the media source
   receives a NACK from another system, it should redistribute that NACK
   to all other systems that would not otherwise receive it.  An example
   of this is RTCP-SSM in simple feedback model"

[Qin]: two distribution sources means we have two levels of SSM communication, one distribution souce is placed at the upstream of the other distribution source.
two distribution sources case is just one exmaple to discuss how to use new report when there are multiple middleboxs or intermediaries between media source and the receivers.
The middlebox can be distribution source and can be other intermediary.

Tom: Again, if your provide an example of an RFC 5760 architecture, you can only talk about one DS!
Please clarify your architecture. If you have two DS, then you have two SSM RTP sessions.. What's the point of linking these? What is your use case?

Regards!
-Qin