[AVT] Comfort noise payload format advancing to proposed standard

Colin Perkins <csp@isi.edu> Fri, 28 June 2002 02:18 UTC

To: avt@ietf.org
cc: casner@acm.org
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:18:02 -0400
From: Colin Perkins <csp@isi.edu>
Subject: [AVT] Comfort noise payload format advancing to proposed standard
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Folks,

We've just been informed that the RTP payload format for comfort noise
(draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cn-06.txt) has passed IESG review and will advance
to proposed standard RFC. There is one suggested change from the IESG,
to rewrite the abstract as follows:

	This document specifies the Real-time Transport Protocol
	payload format for a generic comfort noise or silence
	insertion descriptor frame. It provides the minimum
	interoperability specification for communication of
	parameters to maintain ambient or background noise.
	The comfort noise payload is conceived of as a logically
	distinct codec from that handling the audio stream. The
	comfort noise payload is targeted to be used with codecs
	that do not have built-in comfort noise capabilities.
	That document also defines the Session Description Protocol
	attributes for the payload, as well as registering the
	corresponding media sub-type under the MIME audio/ tree.

If you have any comments on this change, please let the working group
chairs know.

Colin