Re: [AVT] Re: Comments on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-02

stewe@stewe.org Fri, 09 December 2005 12:40 UTC

From: stewe@stewe.org
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:37:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [AVT] Re: Comments on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vc1-02
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: Anders Klemets <anders.klemets@microsoft.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

MPEG-2 user data can contain any byte stream, and it's entierly up to the
receiver what to do with it (i.e. throwing it away, executing it, ...).
Acyive content is allowed in MPEG-2 user data.

I'm unaware of any use of MPEG-2 user data in a way that would warrant the
term "active content", though.  User data has been used for mechanisms
such as close captioning, key transmission, and non-compliant vendor
specific standard enhancements.  The most important application in use (as
far as I know) is operator differentiation: a box purchased from operator
x will not work in the network of operator y.

Regards,
Stephan