RE: [AVT] RTP Retransmissions (was: RE: [AVT] Draft AVT agenda)

"Leon David (NRC/Dallas)" <David.Leon@nokia.com> Thu, 06 December 2001 17:25 UTC

Subject: RE: [AVT] RTP Retransmissions (was: RE: [AVT] Draft AVT agenda)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:24:03 -0600
From: "Leon David (NRC/Dallas)" <David.Leon@nokia.com>
To: avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-admin@ietf.org

Hello,

Please find answers to your comments below.

> Dear All,
>
> we have some comments on the RTP retransmission framework draft
> (leon-draft), presented below. As you know there is an AVT draft about
> retransmissions as well. The AVT draft has the same
> functionality as this
> framework, especially sending the retransmissions on a
> different stream is
> possible. Ispired by the comments of and discussions with
> David Leon and
> Viktor Varsa, we included a new example in our draft how the
> payload formats
> can be used to form a retransmission scheme, where the
> retransmissions are
> sent in a different stream.

First of all, there are some significant changes between your new draft
and its earlier version. Your earlier draft was requiring sending
retransmission packets and original packets in the same RTP stream. Your
earlier payload format could not support sending the retransmission in a
separate stream. You were encoding the retransmitted SN as a delta to
the RTP SN which does not work if packets are sent in a separate stream.
So you did not just include an example how to use your payload format to
send retransmission in a separate stream but changed your draft (payload
format and rules how to use the payload format) in order to incorporate
our scheme.

So your new scheme uses two retransmission 'modes':
-retransmission and original packets in the same stream as you were
proposing in your earlier draft.
-retransmission and original packets in separate stream as described in
our original and updated draft.

Defining multiple modes of operations to resolve the same problem is
generally not a good design.

> The leon-draft is in that way much more limiting. In this draft,
> retransmissions MUST be sent in a different RTP session, with
> a different
> sequence number space. Hence the main difference between the
> drafts is the
> fact whether it should explicitly be forbidden to do the
> retransmissions in
> the same stream.

I assumed that since you've added our mode to your scheme, you agree
that this mode is necessary. So the question is whether we should use an
additional mode (sending RTP packets and retransmitted packets in the
same stream). As I have written in the summary sent to he mailing list,
there are several problems with this mode.

> I think that there are too many different applications and
> environments,
> where retransmissions in RTP could enhance the performance by
> far, for one
> retransmission scheme. Therefore we proposed the two payload
> formats of the
> AVT draft, with which it is possible to design several
> schemes. I agree that
> there *might* be applications that cannot cope with the
> retransmissions
> being sent in the same stream as the original packets.

> (However note that
> backwards compatibility is not an issue, because RTP
> receivers must discard
> packets with unknown payload types.) But I also see many
> applications in
> different environments that could benefit from sending the
> retransmissions
> in the same sequence number space.

So you're saying that although retransmitting in a separate stream may
cause problems, there are many reasons why it should be done. Could you
please tell what the reasons you're thinking of are?

>Detetion of lost packets
> can be purely
> based on the sequence number, which is much faster and less
> complicated than
> using timers.

This statement may confuse someone who is not very familiar with the
drafts. So let me clarify that of course lost packets are detected
simply looking at a missing SN. No timers are needed.
I guess your point is here how to  detect a retransmission attempt did
not work.
You will find below a comparison on how the two schemes can cope with
failed retransmissions.

> So for me the question arises, if there is any reason to
> forbid sending the
> retransmissions in the same stream. If an application (e.g.
> using the RTP
> conversational text) really has problems with this, it can send the
> retransmissions on a different stream. The AVT draft allows
> that as well.
> And as said before, I could think of several applications
> (e.g. MPEG-4,
> RFC3016) and environemnts (e.g. mobile environment with bit
> errors on the
> link, long RTT, limited bandwidth) where we can gain great performance
> enhancements, if we detect the loss of a retransmission at once!.

So let's look into more detail at the issues when a retransmission
packet is lost.

With our scheme, when the receiver requests a packet, it sets a timer
which will timeout when the retransmission did not succceed. The timer
is basically dependent on the round-trip time. If the receiver estimates
there is time to send a second request, it may then rerequest the
packet. This is very simple as this is the only thing you need to
implement at the sender and the receiver.

On the other hand, with your scheme you don't wait for a timeout and
send a request as soon as you detect a missing SN. There is a
fundamental problem with this approach.  Let us assume that a
retransmitted packet is sent and lost. The receiver detects a missing
sequence number since the retransmission packet is sent in the same
stream as the data. However, the receiver does not know that this
missing packet is a retransmitted packet. The receiver estimates from
consecutive packets (which are themselves original packets) the TS of
the missing packet and thinks it has time to perform retransmission.
However, since the missing  packet is a retransmission packet, the TS
estimate is much less than the real TS. The receiver will think it has
time to retransmit a packet and send a retransmission packet. The sender
retransmits this packet once more. When the packet gets to the receiver,
it is too late to be used and it is just discarded. Hence, you waste
bandwidth retransmitting packets which can not be used.

In addition, you also need to use timers in your scheme because a
retransmission may failed either because the retransmitted packet was
lost or the retransmission request was lost. You won't be able to detect
the latter if you don't use timers.

Besides,  your scheme also increases the overhead needed to retransmit a
packet multiple times. If you retransmit twice the same packet, you use
two retransmission headers in the same packet. If you use retransmit
three times,  you use three retransmission headers in the same packet,
etc....

Regards,
David.