Re: [avtext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Huangyihong (Rachel)" <rachel.huang@huawei.com> Tue, 21 June 2016 01:21 UTC

From: "Huangyihong (Rachel)" <rachel.huang@huawei.com>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 01:21:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.78.128]
Cc: "draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification@ietf.org>, "avtext@ietf.org" <avtext@ietf.org>, "avtext-chairs@ietf.org" <avtext-chairs@ietf.org>, "jonathan@vidyo.com" <jonathan@vidyo.com>
Subject: Re: [avtext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Stephen,

Please see inline.

BR,
Rachel

[Rachel]: Looks better than mine^^.

> >> (2) Section 7, 4th para: You say there is a case where header
> >> extension encryption SHOULD be used - how would that work? If
> >> there's a clear way to do it that'd get interop, then why is that
> >> not described? If there are ways in which might or might not work,
> >> or if some proprietary arrangements might be needed then how is it
> >> ok to have a SHOULD there? I suspect that the right thing here may
> >> be to not pretend that that can be done but to just stick with
> >> saying that splicing is inherently not going to work if you use any
> >> real security mechanisms, or something similar.
> >
> > [Rachel]: Yes. I agree. So we should use "MUST" here.
> >
> > OLD: " If there is a concern about the confidentiality of the
> > splicing time information, header extension encryption [RFC6904]
> > SHOULD be used. "
> >
> > NEW:
> >
> > " If there is a concern about the confidentiality of the splicing
> > time information, header extension encryption [RFC6904] MUST be
> > used. "
>
> That's clearer than a SHOULD, yes. I'm still not clear if this
> MUST is something that just works or not though, can you clarify
> that? (In general, I'd not recommend we add any MUST or SHOULD
> at all if we're not confident that an implementer will actually
> write and test that code and that it'd work.)

[Rachel]: Sorry, I misunderstood your point. I think you're right since actually I can't clarify that [RFC6904] is the only way to do this. So here's my new proposal:

"
If there is a concern about the confidentiality of the splicing time information, the header extension defined in this document MUST be also protected, for example, header extension encryption [RFC6904] can be used in this case.
"

> >> (3) In discussion of RFC6828 there was some concern about possible
> >> creation of loops. I forget the issues though, but wanted to check
> >> this in case it also applies here.  (See 4.5 of 6828 maybe or the
> >> history for that RFC in the tracker.)
> >>

> > [Rachel]: Yes, you're right. How about adding a new paragraph in
> > Section 7 to discuss loops?
> >
> > " When implementing undetectable splicing, CSRC list, which can be
> > used to detect RTP-level forwarding loops as defined in Section 8.2
> > of [RFC3550], may be removed to prevent receivers from detecting the
> > splicing occurrence. Hence, loops could occur to cause packets to
> > loop back to upstream of the splicer and may form a serious
> > denial-of-service threat. In such a case, non-RTP means MUST be used
> > to detect and resolve loops if the splicer does not add a CSRC list
> > when forwarding the RTP packet. "
>
> That does look right to me, but since I don't understand it really,
> I'll just believe you that it's ok:-) Are the "non-RTP means" that
> could be used something that'd be clear to an implementer? If so,
> then that'd be fine. If not, maybe you need to say what that means?

[Rachel]: Sure. See following proposal

" In such a case, non-RTP means, e.g., signaling among all the participants, MUST be used to detect and resolve loops if the splicer does not add a CSRC list when forwarding the RTP packet."