[babel] Martin Duke's Discuss on draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Martin Duke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 14 February 2024 18:58 UTC

From: Martin Duke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension@ietf.org, babel-chairs@ietf.org, babel@ietf.org, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, d3e3e3@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:58:29 -0800
Subject: [babel] Martin Duke's Discuss on draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension/

DISCUSS:

- I support Rob's DISCUSS on the status of this document, and would like to
expand on it a bit. I can support this document, with a few modifications, as
experimental, but there are huge gaps in a standards-track spec. If, per the
shepherd writeup, this has been successfully deployed for years, there are
numerous implementation details that are missing. Specifically: o In (3.3) and
(4), there is a weak non-normative suggestion of an algorithm, rather than a
standard way of doing things. o (4.1) There is an allusion to a perfectly
reasonable TCP-like smoothing algorithm in [DELAY-BASED], but this is an
informative reference and the algorithm is not actually described in the text.
o (4.1) "Other algorithms have also been considered, such as a moving average
or a moving minimum, but we have not evaluated their behaviour." This does not
strike me as the maturity level of a proposed standard. Furthermore, the
TCP-like algorithm is a computationally efficient approximation of a moving
average!

- If this document moves to Experimental, there should be a description of what
the experiment is, including dependent (algorithm? cost function parameters?)
and independent variables.

- Given how loosely defined this spec is, does it matter if different nodes
select different magic numbers and/or algorithms?

- I would like to amplify Zahed's COMMENT to a DISCUSS. As these RTT
measurements are not communicated beyond one hop, is RTT-based routing limited
to the next hop? Is there even a way to measure RTT over multiple hops? If so,
how is this done scalably?

(I will note that another approach would simply take local link-layer delay/RTT
measurements and communicate them as link costs using the normal process, which
would be much easier and tolerant of implementation variances)

COMMENT:

- Is there any notion of RTT variance, jitter, or other statistical properties
in this framework? ISTM to me that 20 ms RTT + 50 ms variance is a worse link
than 40ms RTT + 2ms variance.

- Assuming, as is likely, this document goes for significant rework, I suggest
an early TSVART review.