[babel] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 15 February 2024 07:12 UTC

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension@ietf.org, babel-chairs@ietf.org, babel@ietf.org, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:12:24 -0800
Subject: [babel] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension/

DISCUSS:

Roman pointed something out that I'd like to develop a little further.

Section 3.3 includes:

   ... For these reasons, very old timestamps or nonsensical timestamps MUST
   NOT be used to yield RTT samples.

   We suggest the following algorithm to achieve that. When a node receives a
   packet containing a Hello and an IHU, it SHOULD compare ...

SHOULD creates a decision for an implementer; what comes after could be
completely ignored if the implementer decides that's appropriate in the
circumstances, and in theory it won't harm interoperability.  I don't
understand the choice being presented; why, if I'm following the suggestion
presented, would I not do what it says?

I suggest you take out "it SHOULD".  The entire paragraph is a suggestion
anyway; there's no need for normative choices to be presented.

But the reason I'm raising this to a DISCUSS is because the section appears to
assert a MUST NOT, but then buttress it by a handful of SHOULD NOTs.  The
latter are confusing because I could in theory choose to disregard them and yet
still comply with the MUST NOT.  Is that correct?  I feel like some
clarification would be of benefit here.

COMMENT:

I support Robert's, Warren's, and Eric's DISCUSS positions.