Re: [BEHAVE] FYI: draft-despres-sam-02 enclosed

Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org> Tue, 17 March 2009 00:12 UTC

From: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org>
To: Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:13:10 -0400
Cc: Softwires WG <softwires@ietf.org>, Behave WG <behave@ietf.org>, Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] FYI: draft-despres-sam-02 enclosed

Hi Remi,

I have a few high-level comments/questions on this draft from my first
reading, and I may have more after I have reviewed it in more detail.

(1) You have indicated that you would like to discuss this draft in
the 6AI BOF, but you have not cc:ed the mailing list for the 6AI BOF (nat66@ietf.org
).  Also, have you talked to the chairs of the 6AI BOF (Bob Hinden and
Dan Wing) about whether they are willing to include this draft on the
agenda, despite the fact that it has not been posted to the I-D
archive?  There doesn't appear to be an agenda online for the 6AI BOF
yet, so I am not sure if it will be included.

(2) The end hosts in the SAM system need to know their globally
routable addresses, so how can SAM be said to provide address
independence?

(3) Exactly what formulation of the end-to-end principle are you
referring to in this paper when you indicate that SAM preserves it in
IPv6?

My understanding of the end-to-end principle is that it has to do with
putting intelligence at the edges of the network (in hosts vs. routers/
middleboxes) and with putting certain function at the top of the
protocol stack (apps layer vs. lower layers).  This is based on my
understanding (and recollection) of a paper by Jerry Saltzer, D. Reed
and Dave Clark written in the mid 1980s, which you can find here:

http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.txt

It is also reasonably well-summarized in this Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_principle

Based on my understanding of the end-to-end principle, I don't see any
significant difference in SAM vs. NAT66 WRT how much they maintain (or
violate) the end-to-end principle, as both mechanisms place some
functions/intelligence in the infrastructure.

Margaret