Re: [BEHAVE] Increasing the session timer for long lived UDP sessions (was Re: Review of the NAT64 document?)

"Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <ssenthil@cisco.com> Sun, 10 January 2010 21:27 UTC

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:27:03 -0800
From: "Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <ssenthil@cisco.com>
To: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>, Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
Cc: Bryan Ford <baford@mpi-sws.org>, IETF BEHAVE WG <behave@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Increasing the session timer for long lived UDP sessions (was Re: Review of the NAT64 document?)

-----Original Message-----
From: behave-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:behave-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of marcelo bagnulo braun
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:21 PM
To: Reinaldo Penno
Cc: Bryan Ford; IETF BEHAVE WG

Reinaldo Penno escribió:

> On 1/6/10 10:46 AM, "marcelo bagnulo braun" <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> wrote:
>

>> Reinaldo Penno escribió:
>>
>>> I object to the proposed timeout mechanism since it is
>>> implementation specific,
>>>
>> i disagree it is implementation specific. It does affect
>> interoperability, since with Bryan's suggested changes, the UDP timer
>> will be longer for long lived flows, so, end nodes and apps can rely
>> on that (e.g. the keepalives to keep a UDP hole open could also be
>> sent with increasing intervals)
>>

> Okay, I see your point. I'm coming from the use case point of view. In
> the case of NAT64 make it configurable with a lower bound (see below)
> and when a new class of applications appear that can make use of
> exponential increasing timers the market will drive it and we can work on an experimental RFC.
>

>>> but not having idle-timeout configurable.
>>>
>>> I would simply proposed that the UDP/TCP idle-timeout be
>>> configurable since it is already the case in most NAT implementations from CPEs to CGNs.
>>>

>> again, we need more than that, at least a minimum timer value, in
>> order to be compliant with behave requirements.
>>
>> This does affect interop.
>>

> Isn't it REQ-5 of RFC4787? Can we just use it as is?
>
> "  REQ-5:  A NAT UDP mapping timer MUST NOT expire in less than two
>       minutes, unless REQ-5a applies.
>
>       a) For specific destination ports in the well-known port range
>          (ports 0-1023), a NAT MAY have shorter UDP mapping timers that
>          are specific to the IANA-registered application running over
>          that specific destination port.
>
>       b) The value of the NAT UDP mapping timer MAY be configurable.
>
>       c) A default value of five minutes or more for the NAT UDP mapping
>          timer is RECOMMENDED."

current version of the draft certainly complies with bullet c) It used to comply with bullet a) but was removed in v05 due a commnet from a reviewer. I can put the text back in if the wg wants that.
bullet b) and the minimum timer is not contained in the draft, we can certianly add them

but, in order to decide what to do, i would need more input from the WG

[Senthil] I think a configurable timeout value is a very useful utility and we shouldn't deviate from that. I would make sure that these nat64 drafts don't deviate from the other behave RFCs.

Thanks
Senthil

Regards, marcelo