Re: [BEHAVE] [3gv6] DNS64 Resolvers and Dual-Stack Hosts, draft-wing-behave-dns64-config-00

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Fri, 08 January 2010 19:30 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'marcelo bagnulo braun' <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:30:04 -0800
Cc: 'Behcet Sarikaya' <sarikaya@ieee.org>, draft-haddad-mext-nat64-mobility-harmful@tools.ietf.org, 'Behave WG' <behave@ietf.org>, 3gv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] [3gv6] DNS64 Resolvers and Dual-Stack Hosts, draft-wing-behave-dns64-config-00

I'm not sure it matters:

Let's assume the mobile node is dual-stack, and encounters a
dual-stack network that is not operating a NAT64.  If that
mobile node (for whatever reason) sends a query to a DNS64
somewhere on the Internet which returns an AAAA with the
well-known prefix (64:FF9B::/96) such as, for example,
64:FF9B::192.0.2.1, the mobile node will send a TCP SYN to
64:FF9B::192.0.2.1 which won't route anywhere.  The mobile
node will timeout its attempted TCP connection.

Let's assume the mobile node is IPv6-only, and encounters a
dual-stack network that is not operating a NAT64.  If that
mobile node (for whatever reason) sends a query to a DNS64
somewhere on the Internet which returns an AAAA with the
well-known prefix (64:FF9B::/96) such as, for example,
64:FF9B::192.0.2.1, the mobile node will send a TCP SYN to
64:FF9B::192.0.2.1 which won't route anywhere.  The mobile
node will timeout its attempted TCP connection.

-d