Re: [BEHAVE] draft-hamarsheh-behave-biav2-03 VS draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih

<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> Thu, 04 November 2010 12:19 UTC

From: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
To: magoosse@etro.vub.ac.be
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:18:45 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: ala.hamarsheh@vub.ac.be, behave@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] draft-hamarsheh-behave-biav2-03 VS draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih

Hi,

The IETF's approach for the generic problem of supporting IPv4-only apps (connecting to IPv4-only servers) is dual-stack or tunneling, e.g. IPv4 packets encapsulated in IPv6 (see DS-Lite for example).

Have you considered adding considerations for applications that embed IP addresses in protocol payloads (i.e. for ALG considerations)?

I would like to encourage you to review and comment on BIH in behave WG's scope. I mean could you see BIH as a subset of what you aim at, i.e. helping also you to achieve your goals? You could then maybe focus your draft to extend BIH?

In the future we will see IPv6-only applications for sure, but for time being I'm personally not too convinced there will soon be IPv6-only applications that are also happy working through NAT64 (those apps would not work in IPv4-only accesses:). Instead I expect IPv6-only applications that really require peers to be on IPv6 as well and dual-stack applications that also work in IPv4-only accesses.

One comment to previous mail. I think the BIH capability table you sent should have third row (added):

            Host                                      Server

+---------------+-------------------+          +-------------------+

| Appl. Version | Host Connectivity | Network  | Host Connectivity |

|    IPv4       |      IPv6         | <-IPv6-> |      IPv6         |

|    IPv4       |      IPv6         | <-IPv6-> |    IPv4/IPv6      |

|    IPv4       |    IPv4/IPv6      | <-IPv6-> |      IPv6         |

Best regards,

Teemu