Re: [BEHAVE] Comments on draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-02

Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com> Tue, 01 March 2011 17:37 UTC

From: Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
To: "teemu.savolainen@nokia.com" <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com>, "behave@ietf.org" <behave@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:38:36 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.123.12]
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Comments on draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-02

"MUST if it is feasible to implement" means the same as "SHOULD", and the
latter is more concise.

> >     Note that the choice of where the ENR is implemented is orthogonal
> >     to where the protocol translation is implemented (which could be
> >     either API layer, or in the network stack).   Don't confuse this comment
> >     with BIS vs BIA for data translation.
>
> Agree, we will look ways to clarify this to the draft.
>
> > 2) Applications using name resolution APIs like gethostbyname() have no
> >     idea whether DNS will be used or something else (hosts file, mDNS,
> >     netbios, or whatever else).   Indeed that was one of the main points
> >     of RFC 6055.  That's another reason why a type (a) ENR works much
> >     better than a type (b) or (c) ENR, since (a) can be done in a name
> >     resolution protocol agnostic way and the others cannot.   Hopefully
> >     folks now understand why I'd prefer to make (a) be a MUST or at least
> >     a strong SHOULD.
>
> I'm not so sure about need for BIH for local communications (mDNS, netbios?)
> but this is true. Will add these considerations to the ENR section.

Aside: Neither mDNS nor netbios are restricted to communication on the link.
Netbios has name servers (like DNS does), which are what Windows folks
some call WINS servers and RFCs 1001 and 1002 call name server ("NBNS") nodes.
mDNS uses multicast and, contains text saying that it could be used in the future
within wider scopes such as site-local.

My main point is that DNS is not the only protocol for off-link name resolution,
and implementation option (a) is better than the others.

> > 3) Section 2.2 on the translator module in a BIS-like implementation claims
> >     that it needs to do fragmentation.   Since as shown in figure 2, the
> >     translator sits on top of the IPv6 stack, and the IPv6 stack can do
> >     fragmentation, I can't imagine any reason the translator itself would
> >     need to do fragmentation.   It should just send it down to the IPv6
> >     module to fragment as needed.
>
> I thought SIIT procedure would directly construct an IPv6 packet that can be
> sent to the next hop link? I.e. the IPv6 packet would not be constructed by the
> actual IPv6 layer, but just transported. While thinking about this, it might be
> wiser for a host having BIS-model implementation to actually set local IPv4
> interface's MTU small enough to avoid generation of IPv4 packets that would
> be too large after translation:)

Section 4 of draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate already contains sufficient
discussion.  So I think the text on fragmentation can be removed, since
the previous paragraph already references the entirety of that document.

-Dave