Re: [BEHAVE] comments on draft-xu-behave-hybrid-type-prefix-00

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Tue, 09 March 2010 01:43 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Xu Xiaohu' <xuxh@huawei.com>, 'Cameron Byrne' <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:43:08 -0800
Cc: draft-xu-behave-hybrid-type-prefix@tools.ietf.org, 'behave' <behave@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] comments on draft-xu-behave-hybrid-type-prefix-00

That quoted text refers to a different situation, when "both
a NAT44 and NAT64 are deployed on the same network".

If the case of draft-xu-behave-hybrid-type-prefix, they are
deployed on different networks:  the NAT44 is deployed in
the network near the client, while the NAT64 is deployed in
the network near the server.

I'm not seeing an incentive for the operator of network
on the left (with the dual-stack clients) to want to
reconfigure their host's RFC3484 policy table to
prioritize the 64::/16 prefix below native IPv4.

If you're saying the incentive is "some applications
will break", then that same problem exists for IPv6-only
clients, too.  And the content provider has the incentive
to fix their applications so they don't break.  If
the content provider does not fix their applications,
the content viewers will go elsewhere (and not view
their advertising), or will abandon their IPv6 ISP
and use IPv4.

-d