Re: [BEHAVE] draft-xli-behave-icmp-address-00

"Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <ssenthil@cisco.com> Sun, 28 March 2010 22:22 UTC

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:22:16 -0700
From: "Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <ssenthil@cisco.com>
To: Xing Li <xing@cernet.edu.cn>
Cc: behave@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] draft-xli-behave-icmp-address-00

The use of traceroute with NAT (or NAT64) in the path obscures the view of the network and inhibits your debugging capability, no matter what kind of technique you employ to translate the other realm. The only thing the traceroute gives you in case of NAT is the number of hops and the latency.
Regarding the routing loop, it is not really a routing loop but it appears to the end user as routing loop but the traceroute can still complete its tracing of the destination. I would suggest adding some text on the disadvantage/drawback around each of the technique described.

Thanks
Senthil