Re: [BEHAVE] [Softwires] Feedback requested for a draft OGF Firewall traversalproposal

"Niederberger, Ralph" <r.niederberger@fz-juelich.de> Mon, 01 February 2010 12:08 UTC

From: "Niederberger, Ralph" <r.niederberger@fz-juelich.de>
To: 'David Harrington' <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, "'softwires@ietf.org'" <softwires@ietf.org>, "'nsis@ietf.org'" <nsis@ietf.org>, "'Behave@ietf.org'" <Behave@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:09:01 +0100
acceptlanguage: de-DE
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] [Softwires] Feedback requested for a draft OGF Firewall traversalproposal

Dear David,

I have scanned through the RFCs you proposed in your last email.

As far as I see those RFCs use different mechanisms than the protocol I propose.
Feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.

The MIDCOM workgroup developed a protocol, where an application can connect to a midcom agent to request firewall openings.
So the intelligence is swapped out from the midbox, because it could be to complicated to be processed within the midbox.

The experimental RFC 4540 specifies a protocol where the application directly communicates with the midbox.

The draft protocol proposed now uses inband signaling only. That is:

- you need not know about firewalls on the way
- you need not know about Midbox agents to communicate to
- the firewall reads the control stream, which is structured very simple and generally usable.
  So the code to be used on the midboxes should be rather small.
- in principle it acts very similar to the control session of an FTP communication, but should be much more secure.
- as already said: it currently is based on ssh for authentication and authorization and uses the "ssh none cipher" mechanism for the signaling part,
  but it could make also sense to use TLS instead.

Best regards

Ralph