Re: [BEHAVE] [OPSAWG] Major NAT MIB Issue: Notifications and processor requirements at the agent

Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Wed, 29 October 2014 03:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:08:55 -0700
From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: Simon Perreault <sperreault@jive.com>, Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds@gmail.com>
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>, "behave@ietf.org" <behave@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] [OPSAWG] Major NAT MIB Issue: Notifications and processor requirements at the agent

Hi -

I haven't seen David's original comment, but I don't see how
implementation to match the behaviour described here is
at all demanding computationally.

In a case like this, there are two pieces of information that
change infrequently: the threshold and the total number of
combinations made available by the pool; and one piece which
changes frequently: the number of active mappings using the pool.
A typical agent implementation strategy strategy for something like
this simply (re-)computes the *integer* threshold against which
the rapidly changing piece of information is to be compared.
All the "expensive" processing (typically just a couple of divisions
and multiplies) in terms of "ratios" only happens when processing
a *configuration* change. The frequent operation (threshold check)
is a simple integer compare in the same units as the variable of
interest.

Randy