Re: [BEHAVE] using IPv4-mapped DNS/DNS64 resolvers for dual-stack/IPv6-only hosts

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Tue, 09 March 2010 03:20 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Zhen Cao' <zehn.cao@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:20:41 -0800
Cc: behave@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] using IPv4-mapped DNS/DNS64 resolvers for dual-stack/IPv6-only hosts

Right.

> and there will be the same problem that traffic will be translated
> via NAT64?

Yes.

So that means the first DNS server better be working.

I expect the industry can accomplish that.  _One_ way to accomplish that is to
operate both servers on the same physical server, listening on two different
IP addresses, and responding differently based on the incoming packet.

So far, based on email discussion, this is the only viable idea that does not
require modifying the host.  (I consider the DHCPv6 manipulations in my draft
to be non-viable, even though they do not require modifying the host).

-d