Re: [BEHAVE] NAT64 for Mobile IPv6 - Extension header translation ICMP error issue

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Thu, 08 July 2010 21:54 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Behcet Sarikaya' <sarikaya@ieee.org>, behave@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:54:46 -0700
Cc: 'Charlie Perkins' <charliep@computer.org>, 'Wassim Haddad' <wassim.haddad@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] NAT64 for Mobile IPv6 - Extension header translation ICMP error issue

> >Dan Wing wrote:
> >By the way, I see that both draft-sarikaya-behave-mext-nat64-dsmip-00
> and
> >draft-haddad-mext-nat64-mobility-harmful-01 state that IPv6  extension
> >headers are not translated and will cause the NAT64 to  generate an
> ICMP
> >error.  However, according to  draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate an ICMP
> error is
> >not generated in that  case - draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate says the
> extension
> >header is  simply skipped and the IPv6 packet is translated to an IPv4
> >packet.
>

> In order to start route optimization, MN sends Home Test Init (HoTI)
> message to
> IPv4-only server by tunneling it to HA. HA removes the tunnel header
> and the resulting packet goes through NAT64 packet translation. As Dan
> says
> above, the extension headers are simply skipped but this packet has no
> payload,
> I think that is the reason for HA generating an ICMP error and sending
> it to MN.

Oops, I had missed that "NAT64" in draft-haddad-mext-nat64-mobility-harmful
and in draft-haddad-mext-nat64-mobility-harmful refers to stateful
translation.  I had thought it was referring to stateless translation.

If it's a stateful NAT64, and the HoTI isn't run over UDP or TCP,
the stateful NAT64 will generate an error.  Text from
draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-11:

   If the incoming packet is an IPv6 packet that contains a protocol
   other than TCP, UDP or ICMPv6 in the last Next Header, then the
   packet SHOULD be discarded and, if the security policy permits, the
   NAT64 SHOULD send an ICMPv6 Destination Unreachable error message
   with Code 3 (Destination Unreachable) to the source address of the
   received packet.

My mistake.  Sorry about that.

-d