Re: [BEHAVE] four data models: SYSLOG, IPFIX, SNMP, RADIUS

David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Tue, 17 July 2012 02:12 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:13:05 -0400
From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: "Reinaldo Penno (repenno)" <repenno@cisco.com>, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <achatz@forthnetgroup.gr>, "Dan Wing (dwing)" <dwing@cisco.com>
Cc: "behave@ietf.org" <behave@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] four data models: SYSLOG, IPFIX, SNMP, RADIUS

Hi,

I agree we should try to standardize a limited **information model** (see
rfc3444) for nat logging.
Then we should standardize one or more protocol-specific data models.

I do not think we should produce every variant of data model just because
we can; there should be solid justification for each standard model.
I would like to see what proprietary solutions are already being used
widely, and would benefit from standardization.

--
David Harrington
Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)