Re: [bess] Discussion on modulo-based DF-Election of draft-ietf-bess-rfc7432bis-07

wang.yubao2@zte.com.cn Wed, 17 May 2023 03:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 11:43:16 +0800
From: wang.yubao2@zte.com.cn
To: jorge.rabadan@nokia.com
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-rfc7432bis-07@ietf.org, bess@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bess] Discussion on modulo-based DF-Election of draft-ietf-bess-rfc7432bis-07

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your explanation.

I doubt that the meaning of Ethernet Tag is not consistent in rfc7432bis. There are some examples.

1) section 13.1 "If P2MP LSPs are being used, the packet MUST be sent on the P2MP LSP of which the PE is the root, for the <EVI, BD> associated with the received packet's Ethernet tag."

    If the Ethernet tag is a VNI or normalized VID, the received packet can't contain a VNI or normalized VID.

2) section 9.2.1 "· Alternatively, a PE may advertise a unique EVPN label per <MAC-VRF, Ethernet tag> combination. This label assignment is referred to as a per <MAC-VRF, Ethernet tag> label assignment."

    Is the Ethernet tag here an Ethernet Tag ID or a VLAN-tag on the AC? Typically a VLAN-tag only has a port-based significance, thus I don't see why it should be combined with a MAC-VRF.

3) "7.10.1. Auto-derivation from the Ethernet Tag (VLAN ID)... ... If the Ethernet Tag ID length is 24 bits, the RT for the MAC-VRF can be auto-derived as per [RFC8365] section 5.1.2.1."

    I think the auto-derivation is actually done by Ethernet Tag ID, not Ethernet Tag, in "unique VLAN ID" use case, the Ethernet Tag happens to be the same as Ethernet Tag ID, but generally speaking the RT is derived from the Ethernet Tag ID.

    Actually, in RFC7432, this section is called "auto-derivation from the Ethernet Tag ID"

4) In "Inclusive Multicast Ethernet Tag Route", the Ethernet Tag is obvious has nothing to do with the "Ethernet Tag", but refers to the "Ethernet Tag ID".

5) To me it is a bit confusing that the "Ethernet Tag ID" is not the ID of the "Ethernet Tag", literally it should have this meaning.

6) The "Ethernet Tag" tries to combine too many things together, some of which can't be included in the packets received on the corresponding ES, some of which is even not ethernet parameters.

I suggest using the service-delimiter or service-delimiting tag concept to refer to the VLAN/QinQ tag on the ES, while other "ethernet tag" which can't appear in the packets received on the ES can still be called "Ethernet Tag ID". The service-delimiter concept is defined in RFC4762, which is also referred by rfc7432bis.

In such case, for DF election, we can say that the V used in modulo function is the service-delimiter or Ethernet Tag ID.

Thanks,

Yubao

原始邮件