Re: [bess] Cross WG review request for draft-ietf-bier-evpn

"Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com> Tue, 11 May 2021 09:51 UTC

From: "Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com>
To: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net>, "slitkows.ietf@gmail.com" <slitkows.ietf@gmail.com>, "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>
CC: "bess-chairs@ietf.org" <bess-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 09:51:41 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.112.232.176]
Subject: Re: [bess] Cross WG review request for draft-ietf-bier-evpn

Hi Jeffrey, WG,

Thanks for the further discussions.

“Didn’t we have such “unified” encoding already – an MPLS label?”
I agree and I would prefer to impl & use MPLS label for service delimiting in vxlan/nvgre/geneve environment if I have to implement the following 6 options:
BIER+vxlan/nvgre/geneve for unicast vxlan/nvgre/geneve alignment, and BIER + ip-udp-vxlan/ip-nvgre/ip-udp-geneve for alignment & php.

However there may still be a problem: the MPLS label is short than 24-bit VNI needed in vxlan/nvgre/geneve enviroment!
Given this I will consider {L2 header + BIER + unified-overlay-header(UOH) },  where the UOH is used for service delimiting and inclusive to 24-bit VNI of any type.
The UOH can be designed to support L2 header + UOH as well considering the PHP.

Anyway, I know it’s a trade-off between implement cost and market value.
I have no other question/problem with the processing of this draft even if I think it is wrong direction to me as I see it from implementation view.

Thanks!
Jingrong