[bess] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-07: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 20 May 2021 01:25 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation@ietf.org, bess-chairs@ietf.org, bess@ietf.org, Matthew Bocci <matthew.bocci@nokia.com>, mankamana mishra <mankamis@cisco.com>, mankamis@cisco.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 18:25:17 -0700
Subject: [bess] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-07: (with COMMENT)

draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation/

COMMENT:

This looks like a nice, simple way to improve the interoperation scenarios.
All my comments are relatively minor (and most are explicitly classified as nits).

Section 2

   Section "14.  Supporting PIM-SM without Inter-Site Shared C-Trees" of
   [RFC6514] specifies the procedures for MVPN PEs to discover (C-S,C-G)
   via MVPN Source Active A-D routes and then send (C-S,C-G) C-multicast
   routes towards the ingress PEs, [...]

Just to check my understanding: when we say "send (C-S,C-G) C-multicast
routes toward the ingress PEs", does that refer to the "Source Tree Join
C-multicast route"s that RFC 6514 describes?  Would it be helpful to
write it out using the same terminology?

Section 3

   When an MVPN PE advertises an MVPN SA route following procedures in
   [RFC6514] for the "spt-only" mode, it SHOULD attach an "MVPN SA RP-
   address Extended Community".  [...]

I don't really understand why this is only a "SHOULD".  If the whole
point of this document is to let MVPN S-A announcements get propagated
out to MSDP, it seems required, and people who don't care about that
scenario can ignore the document entirely; they don't need SHOULD vs
MUST to get out of it.

   In addition to procedures in [RFC6514], an MVPN PE may be provisioned
   to generate MSDP SA messages from received MVPN SA routes, with or

When would something that implements the rest of this document not be
expected to generate MSDP SA messages in such a manner?  (That is, why
use "may be"?)

Section 4

I'm always a little wary of claims of "no additional security
considerations", though in many cases there are no *significant* new
security considerations, even if there are some considerations that are
new.  In this case, we have the option of using the local RP address for
the C-G when constructing a MSDP SA message (when the EC is not present
in the MVPN SA NRLI), and since this causes different nodes in the MVPN
to see different RPs for the group, it's not immediately clear that
there are no relevant security considerations from having different
views of the RP.  What is the behavior when different nodes are using
different RPs?

(There is also the fact that the address of the RP is now sent to a
larger population by virtue of being in the new BCP EC, which should
cause us to consider if there are any privacy considerations from the
broadedend information distribution.  I don't see anything noteworthy,
though.)

RFC 6514's security considerations section mentions (by section number,
not name) that for the spt-only mode implementations should have an
upper bound on the number of SA A-D routes.  IIUC, the mechanisms in
this document do not change relative resource consumption in a way that
might require the specific value of the upper bound to change, but
please confirm.

The security considerations for RFC 3618 mandate implementation of
TCP-MD5, which is a bit dated.  Should we say anything about TCP-AO (RFC
5925) here?

Section 7.2

While RFC 3618 is not specifically cited in any location that would
require it to be classified as normative, I think that it should be
classified as normative, and thus presumably that more references to it
should also be added where the normative use of MSDP is mentioned in the
text.

NITS

Section 1

   Familiarity with MVPN and MSDP protocols and procedures is assumed.
   Some terminologies are listed below for convenience.

References for MVPN and MSDP would go well here.

Section 2

   similar to MSDP Source-Active messages [RFC3618].  For a VPN, one or
   more of the PEs, say PE1, either act as a C-RP and learn of (C-S,C-G)
   via PIM Register messages, or have MSDP sessions with some MSDP peers
   and learn (C-S,C-G) via MSDP SA messages.  [...]

Since we specified "say PE1", we should probably take the "one" branch
of "one or more" and use "has" and "learns" for singular/plural agreement.

   corresponding (C-*,C-G) state learnt from its CE.  PE2 may also have
   MSDP sessions for the VPN with other C-RPs at its site, but [RFC6514]
   does not specify that it advertises MSDP SA messages to those MSDP

I suggest s/it/PE2/ just to avoid any doubt.

   which are redundant and unnecessary.  Also notice that the PE1-PE2
   MSDP session is VPN-specific, while the BGP sessions over which the
   MVPN routes are advertised are not.

I suggest s/VPN-specific/used only for a single MVPN/

   o  VPN extranet mechanisms can be used to propagate (C-S,C-G)
      information across VPNs with flexible policy control.

Is RFC 7900 a good reference for "VPN extranet"?  I had to look it up...

   contain the source and group.  MSDP requires the RP address
   information in order to perform peer-RPF.  Therefore, this document

I'd suggest expanding RPF on first use.

Section 3

   attach the EC), the local RP address for the C-G is used.  In that
   case, it is possible that the receiving PE's RP for the C-G is
   actually the MSDP peer to which the generated MSDP message is

I suggest s/receiving PE's RP/RP inserted into the MSDP SA message/.

   from before.  The previously advertised MSDP SA message with the
   older RP address will be timed out.

I guess technically it's the state that the older message induced that
times out, not the message itself.

   direction - upon receiving an MVPN SA route in a VPN generate
   corresponding MSDP SA and advertise to MSDP peers in the same VPN.

"generate a"; "advertise it"