[bess] Comments on draft-ietf-bess-ir

<thomas.morin@orange.com> Thu, 24 September 2015 09:19 UTC

From: thomas.morin@orange.com
To: draft-ietf-bess-ir@tools.ietf.org, BESS <bess@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:19:27 +0200
Cc: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net>, Karthik Subramanian <kartsubr@cisco.com>, Eric Rosen <erosen@juniper.net>
Subject: [bess] Comments on draft-ietf-bess-ir

Hi everyone,

> 1. Introduction
[...]
> This document does not provide any new protocol elements or
> procedures; [...]

Sections 3, 4.1.1 and 9, at least, introduce what I think can fairly be
considered new procedures.
(The fact that the document introduces new procedures is fine I think,
and not inconsistent with the fact that it updates past RFCs.)

> 2.  What is an IR P-tunnel?
[...]
>      Typically the unicast tunnels are the Label Switched Paths (LSPs)
>    that already exist to carry unicast traffic; either MP2P LSPs created
>    by LDP [RFC5036] or P2P LSPs created by RSVP-TE [RFC3209]. However,
>    any other kind of unicast tunnel may be used.

> 4.1. Advertised P-tunnels
> The procedures in this section apply when the P-tunnel to be joined
> has been advertised in an S-PMSI A-D route, an Inter-AS I-PMSI A-D
> route, or an Intra-AS I-PMSI A-D route.

For sake of clarity and avoid any misinterpretation, can you please add
", and the PMSI Tunnel Attribute is of type Ingress Replication" since
these procedures of course do not apply to any other tunnel type.

[...]
> 4.1.2.  If the 'Leaf Info Required Bit' is Not Set

[...]
>    Note that if a set of IR P-tunnels is joined in this manner, the
>    "discard from the wrong PE" procedures of [RFC6513] section 9.1.1
>    cannot be applied to that P-tunnel.  Thus duplicate prevention on
>    such IR P-tunnels requires the use of either Single Forwarder
>    Selection ([RFC6513] section 9.1.2) or native PIM procedures
>    ([RFC6513] section 9.1.3).

I would suggest rewording with "Note that, in the general case, ..." and
"...unless the tunneling technique relies on an IP transport, which may
allow the identification of the PE sourcing the traffic".

> 9.  Use of Timers when Switching UMH
>
>    Suppose a child node has joined a particular IR P-tunnel via a
>    particular UMH, and it now determines (for whatever reason) that it
>    needs to change its UMH on that P-tunnel.  It does this by modifying
>    the RT of a Leaf A-D route.
[...]
> However, the control plane operation
>    (modifying the RT of the Leaf A-D route) does not permit the child
>    node to first join the P-tunnel at the new UMH, and then later prune
>    itself from the old UMH

As I read the above, I understand --even if that is a bit implicit--
that the NLRI for the Leaf A-D route to the old UMH is the same as the
NLRI for the Leaf A-D route to the new UMH.

But I don't in fact understand why this has to be the case...

[[ One has to ignore the procedures to build a Leaf A-D route of RFC6514
since this document specifies new ones for IR in section 4.1.1 -- but it
would help to say upfront that "the section applies in the context of
the procedures in section 4.1.1" (an uncautious reader re-reading
section 9 without having re-read section 4.1 may be lost -- of course,
this is pure fiction, and it could certainly not have happened to me...) ]]

Now, let me go back to section 4.1.1 and section 3:
- section 4.1.1 says that the Key field of the Leaf A-D route contains
the "tunnel identifier" defined in section 3
- section 3 says that (when the "Leaf info required" bit is set, which
is the case for section 4.1.1) the tunnel identifier is RECOMMENDED to
be a routable address of the router that built the PTA

Why not make it MANDATORY to use put an address specific to the router
that built the PTA in the tunnel identifier and thus ensure that the
Leaf A-D route to the old UMH will be different than Leaf A-D route to
the new UMH ?

(I understand that maybe there is a difficulty that there might be
contexts where the router that built the PTA is not the UMH, but I fail
to identify a context where it would be the case and IR would be used --
if the motivation for this choice of procedure lies in this specific
aspect that would really deserve to be exposed, documented and possibly
debated)

Anyhow, it seems to me that ensuring that the Key changes when the UMH
changes, would simplify the make before break procedure: everything is
at the hand of the downstream PE which can advertise both routes for as
long as it wishes, without introducing any issues related to the
consistent configuration of the timers in 1 (upstream PE) and 2
(downstream PE)  -- as we know well, having to add tuning knobs has a
direct implementation/test/OSS cost and having to configure two things
consistently in two different places is a recipe for failure.

-Thomas

Thank you.